Saturday, December 25, 2010

FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA MAKES ME CRY

I was riding with John Singleton, leaving his offices in Leimert Park where we were casting HUSTLE & FLOW, when a man passed by on a 10 speed. Raising his fist in the air, he shouted, "Yo, John! BOYZ N THE HOOD was the shit, man!"

John called back, "Thanks... but I've made a few since then."

Every filmmaker wants to make an impact on their audience. To make a memorable film is an accomplishment, especially if it is your first. But the burden of a memorable movie can be a pesky anchor at times. Artists like to move forward. They don't like to dwell on their past work (or at least they shouldn't). If you were to sit down with John Singleton he could tell you about five features that he's written or outlined that he'd like to make. He doesn't want to look back, he wants to move forward.  BOYZ is a classic. But John has more classics in him. 

Me, Singleton, Taraji P. Henson, Elise Neal, and Terrence Howard at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival
I can't tell you how many times I get stopped in Memphis by people telling me how much HUSTLE & FLOW meant to them. I never get tired of it, especially since it was such an effort to get the movie made. When it was chosen to go to Sundance, Memphis rejoiced. When it sold for a record price tag to Paramount, Memphis couldn't believe it. And when Three 6 Mafia won an Oscar for It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp, Memphis lost their shit. Whenever praise comes from a Memphian it always feels good. The success of the film was a victory shared by the entire city. 
But I worry. I worry like artist does. Will my well run dry? Will HUSTLE & FLOW be the movie that defines me above all other movies I make? Ten years from now, will some guy roll by on a 10 speed and yell, "Hey, Craig... HUSTLE was my joint, bro!" It's a great problem to have, I know. But I'd like to believe I have more to say. How does the saying go? You're only as good as your next thing.


In regard to this issue of longevity, I would like to nominate Francis Ford Coppola with the lifetime achievement award. The award would not be in recognition of his earlier films, which are truly incredible (The Conversation, The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, Apocalypse Now, etc...). Instead, it would be for his recent efforts: YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH, TETRO, and whatever else he wants to make. I know that Spielberg and Scorsese have made more films, and continue to entertain and enthrall audiences, but Coppola is more of a pioneer. He wants to make personal films. He wants to improve and become a better writer. The old man refuses to rest on his laurels and coast into cinema history on the strength of his earlier work. He is still taking pen to paper, lensing up on actors, and making new movies.

Sure, his recent films may not be number one at the box office or make 100 million dollars domestic. But I don't think he's concerned with that. With news surfacing this week that Steven Soderbergh may be retiring from filmmaking, I can't help but respect Coppola even more. He's fighting. He's learning. He's 71 and he's still trying to become a better artist. His effort inspires me.

He makes me cry, I swear to God.
Watch these two clips and tell me what you think. 



1 comment: