Monday, January 3, 2011

My Sunday Film Festival - EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP

I find myself sitting in traffic a lot in when I have to work in Los Angeles. There are these grey power boxes (that's what I'm calling them until someone sets me straight) that stand off to the side of the road on every other block. They are usually covered in street art, graffiti, or advertisements.

I'm telling you, I've never been more aware of street art (on a purely spectator level) than I have since working here in LA. Memphis has some, but LA is covered in it. You look out the window and there it is. I snapped this photo the other day. I leaned over through the passenger side window with my phone and took it.


I don't know who the artists are (and I welcome any info) but I love these two pieces. I had about a month to enjoy them for free sitting in the comfort of my car before the persistent rain tore them up.

Free Humanity

One day I was sitting in my car at a stop sign when I looked over at two young women, talking excitedly and booming Beyonce. One of them started pointing out the window. They both reached for their phones and took a picture of a power box with a painting of Yoda, holding a paintbrush, with the words "WARS NOT MAKE ONE GREAT" painted behind him.

These two girls didn't even hesitate to snap the picture. That's what's great about street art. It is intended to be exploited and distributed by any means. It can be up in a gallery or sent in a txt. Check out MELROSEandFAIRFAX.

 I've since learned that the Yoda piece is from a street artist called FREE HUMANITY. You can see an LA WEEKLY story here.

So I started taking as many pictures of power boxes that I could. Whenever I see one, I try to pull over and snap a picture, because it could be gone the next day.

Here's a sampling.












The next step in my street art education was to watch EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP by Bansky. 

I highly recommend it. A good double feature would be EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP and AMADEUS. It's a great film about obsession and art, as well as commerce and hype. The film gives you a healthy glimpse at some incredible street artists such as Bansky, Shepard Fairey, and the Invader.

Bansky
Shepard Fairey





Invader


 Get the movie. You'll be impressed and entertained. Is it real? Is it fake? Who cares.



2 comments:

  1. Exit Through the Gift Shop is awesome. I saw it on netflix. I've picked up some street art done on cardboard that these mca students staple to abandoned building. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thumbs up tag always makes me smile. (The pic with the pedestrian.)

    If you've never seen it, you should check out the wheat paste wall on Traction & Hewitt in downtown LA. It changes all the time.

    Another good street art documentary is Beautiful Losers. It goes on a bit long but it's interesting.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyRAHKTy6hI

    ReplyDelete